PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAE / AVRO 146
Thread: BAE / AVRO 146
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 20:48
WHBM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Dan-Air had a couple of the early, short ones. Must have been around 1984, when flying Palma to Gatwick, a Dan-Air, one was taxying out at Palma in front of our transfer bus, at a time when they were still a novelty, and commented on. Arriving at Gatwick, there it apparently was on stand. Seemed a pretty low capacity aircraft for such a trunk route. Only much later did I find they were the two separate aircraft, the first was operating a weekend charter to (I think) Teesside, the second was standing between operations from Gatwick on Dan-Air's oddball schedules to Berne etc.

Much later I became a regular on one of this pair, frame number 6, around 1997, which had by then passed to Cityjet and was their first aircraft on London City to Dublin when I was a weekly regular. It had bright orange seats, I don't know if those were the originals. Shortly afterwards it became Bernie Ecclestone's business jet, and turned up at wherever Formula One racing was taking place for many years afterwards, I think based at Biggin Hill.