PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Hover
Thread: High Hover
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2004, 11:51
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helipolarbear:
Alot of Helipilots get hung up on the (Titty) HV Chart. Keep in mind that these charts are advisory (not Cold Limitations).
Umm. Well... Actually, there are many helicopters in which the H-V chart *is* in the Limitations Section and therefore is more than just "advisory" in nature (Check the AS-350 AFM for one.)
The HV chart has some fluidity to it's interpretation. Wind velocity directly reduces the curve apex.
Umm. Well... You know, the H-V chart is marked with units of (if I recall correctly) "height" and "velocity." Velocity is measured as airspeed, which is quite independant of wind. Wind does not figure into the equation, nor does it have any effect on the shape of the shaded area.
Right turn, left turn, pitch up or down also has an effect (and any combination) Then there is the design fudge factor, certified authority factor etc. I have conducted throttle roll offs at 50' in B206's and UH-1's. The amount of kinetic energy stored is directly proportional to the reaction of the pilot's control input in such a situation. I'm sure all mono heli's don't react the same, and I have reservations about the R-22 models as well as one or two low inertia systems.
But remember when inside the Deadmans curve, be prepared to snap the collective down controlled and firmly....initially!!!!!!
Any pilot who "simulates" an engine failure in a BH-206 by snapping the throttle off is deluding himself if he thinks this is an accurate representation of what will happen if the engine quits for real. Having said that, we can all agree that merely operating in the shaded area is no guarantee of a crash. For every kilo you are under MGW is an advantage in your favor. For every millivanillisecond your reaction time is better than the test pilot's is an advantage in your favor.

Back to Bugdevheli's original question- - -

Let us allow that the only helis this really applies to are single-engine ships. And so we must ask: Is the shaded area of the H-V chart that much of an impediment? Is it that hard to avoid? I think not. Use the right tool for the job...in other words, don't be using an R-22 for OGE, inside-the-shaded-area hovering. If you must do such work and cannot afford a twin, use a lightly-loaded 206!

Would I trade maneuverability for inertia? Not really. Remember, rotor intertia would not necessarily mean a concomitant increase in stability. A slow-reacting rotor could be a real detriment - - like hovering in close quarters on a gusty day, say - - or trying to put the ship on a dolly on that same gusty day. No sir, give me quick control response any day.