PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 18:29
ChrissyPrezzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flying_melon
It's almost as if I was trying to understand and explain the current selection process from the pov of CX Management. I am not one of the management guys, but thank you for acknowledging I did a great job.

Some of you don't seem to understand that CX Captains don't make the rules despite what the word "captain" may imply; management does. And to put it harshly, the people in management don't give a **** about your struggles. They are here to help CX make a profit, raise their stock price, answer to the shareholders, and fatten their own piggy bank through bonuses/stocks. So when whitsunday asked me what I thought CX's intentions were, I answered from CX management's pov because that's the only one that matters whether you agree with them or not. Whatever internal conflicts you mentioned and other complaints pilots raised are irrelevant to management. Besides, it's pretty clear the end goal is to replace most, if not all, expensive expats with locals, so why would management care about some temporary internal conflicts? You said the workforce has been divided for years between expats and locals, yet the company still hasn't collapsed. Perhaps unhappy pilots don't have much of an impact on their bottom line?

So what will happen when/if demand returns and they don't have enough pilots? Well they will have to increase compensations to attract and retain pilots. It's a free market and everyone -- and I really do mean everyone -- has a price. If the price is right, more than enough people will put their hatred for CX and the HK/Beijing government aside to come work for CX and live in a shoe box as they have done for many, many years. Mark my words.

This is NOT to say I agree with them, but this is the harsh reality. I sound like one of the management guys again, don't I?
Mental health issues are just as important as physical ones, said by many doctors. So if a junior pilot is constantly being looked down by his/her peers, I’m talking about the ones who graduated from the same program but in the old standard, they will have a higher chance to be exposed to all kinds of mental health problems, such as low self-esteem, loss of confidence, feeling being isolated in the cockpit because, let’s be honest, you are just sitting here watching somebody to fly the jet, always think I am here because they went easy on me at the interviews, totally embarrassed by his/her terrible accent in front of the bananas..(You think the locals are gonna be much nicer to each other? Wrong. Even inside the local pilot community, some of them are quite judgmental. Have flown with and worked with plenty of them before. Hey. What do you think we were doing on a 13hours flight from HKG to LAX? Now you have peer pressure, on top of that, you have CX factor. You have a company who constantly push you over the edge, doesn't care about your feelings, doesn’t care about your situation, having a take it or walk out the door attitude. You want to leave but you can't because you have nowhere to go with P2X. You are now stuck. Day after day, month after month, these mental health problems get piled up and it eventually causes fatigue, leading to anxiety, leading to depression, what worst, you might think about taking your own life. A young CX pilot who killed himself recently because of depression, the news has been widely circulating among the expat pilot community. A person dies doesn’t make the news. But what if a whole plane went down then CX is doomed. Two Hong Kong Airlines Pilots were trying to takeoff from a Taxiway. SCMP 2008. Could it be the future of Cathay?