PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 14:21
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cessnapete
One can see a problem of “team cohesiveness” if members of the Formation Team are involved, as happened some years ago when two Red Team members were replaced/ resigned.
But delving into 2017 “private life events” seems crass..
I must agree. I worked with the Reds for many years and it is clear to me that Wg Cdr Montenegro is being set up as a scapegoat. Did he fraternize with a junior rank against orders - I don't know, but it appears he may have done (yet to be proven). Against the rules...sure. However, if he is 'guilty', then so are dozens of former Red Arrows. In the 90's, pulling other guys wives was practically a rite of passage for the guys on the team. When the first female pilot joined the team she was the toast of breakfast TV and tabloids alike. Where were they when she had an affair with the boss? Silence. The hypocrisy around this team is legendary.

If the RAF truly want to 'oust' current and former Reds who have behaved badly (or worse), then it does not need to look far - they are everywhere. The team has been toxic for years and will continue to be so - it is in their DNA.

I do believe the Reds should be disbanded and have felt this way for several years. Defence budgets are wafer thin, and the frontline weapons Ukraine (and the UK) need are not cheap. We cannot justify a bunch of preening primdonna's posing around in obsolete jets and gaudy flying suits when airmen can't get hot water in their living accommodation. The Reds have had their day, and it is time to focus on far more important priorities.

Unfortunately, we have the most detached, clueless and misguided CAS in living memory - he will probably fix it by giving them rainbow coloured flying suits.