PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK aircraft time into full service..
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 11:37
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
Not sure which FADEC or a/c type you might be referring to, SB. The only notable example that I can think of was the Chinook Mk2 FADEC code, but that was a UK item I believe. BD had that code analysed (as they are mandated to do in all cases) and found it so bad as to be positively dangerous and stopped all further flight testing as a result. They also formally advised the RAF to ground in service Mk2's (amazingly already in squadron service despite the lack of a legal RTS) but it was too late for the crew and pax of ZD576 who perished in the infamous Mull tragedy the following day.
Perhaps if the Chinook Mk2 had entered service IAW the Regs then those 29 avoidable deaths would indeed have been avoided. As to the case you refer to, would you be kind enough to identify the a/c type involved? BD would have tested it IAW the mandated regs, including the FADEC code, just as they did with the Chinook Mk2. The difference might be that the MOD followed the regs in this case before releasing the a/c into service. A lesson learned from Mull perhaps.
I remember attempting to saw parts off an armoured Pig to get the weight down as the Chinook Mk1 had not been cleared to lift that weight level, the ability came in slowly as they were cleared by Boscombe at different weights....
There were issues with the MK1, the Hydraulic starter / pump on the APU had a tendency to explode, one time soaking the crewman in hydraulic fluid, if I remember correctly it was found to be the wrong dash version, and the later dashes had been bench tested for a period of time prior, they only failed during an initial short use timeframe. Indeed when they arrived all the maintenance manuals were printed on yellow paper, as we worked on them and the procedures were validated, then the yellow pages were amended as required or once verified issued on white paper until the whole manual was white.
Other problems we encountered were corrosion under the floor, it was finally traced If memory serves me correctly to the delivery flight to the docks, in winter the crew carried a car to drive back in and snow and rock salt on the underside melted in flight, it then sat and festered in and under the floor on the long sea voyage to the UK.