PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2022, 23:00
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by pasta
The more I think about this, the more I think that any viable peace deal has to include an acceptance from Russia that Ukraine may join NATO. That's the only meaningful reassurance any Russian administration could give that there won't be a rematch. Without that (and I'm not sure it's achievable) I think we're heading for another uneasy standoff...
There would be no need to join NATO if the UN actually abided by Art. 27(3) and reverted to historical precedent on the meaning of the words, that there is actually no Veto power where the PM that is wanting to "just say No", when they are one of the belligerents are automatically required to abstain from a vote, and that abstention is not nor should it ever have been considered a Veto. That is what the rule says, yet here we are today as the UN is such a dysfunctional system they selectively apply the rules and then feign disappointment that the rule that they misapply stops them having to make a decision. I would contend that the UN as it is run at present is a clear and present danger to civilisation, and needs to be replaced with an institution that actually does the one thing it was supposed to do.

Until then, there is always Paris NATO, or a collective announcement of UN states that they will defend any country that is attacked by [Fill in any term describing Russia, e.g., CIS, RF, Russia, Wish I was a Soviet empire etc...]