PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK aircraft time into full service..
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2022, 20:41
Old_Slartibartfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
I thought the issue was the software rather than the engine and/or FADEC? The software is key to a FADEC operation and must be fully tested in each revision it goes through. With respect, this has everything to do with the Chinook HC2 FADEC because again it was the code that made it 'positively dangerous' (BD's words after an independent audit of it produced so much bad code that it was stopped, as there was no point in continuing). Little wonder that BD/QQ insisted thereafter of having your FADEC code similarly checked! The Achilles Heel of a FADEC is its code. Anything other than fully tested intact software and you have an accident looking for a place to happen. As I mentioned previously, the A400 Seville fatal accident didn't have to look far as it happened right after becoming airborne.

Point blank? Sounds like a good response to you if you wanted them to forgo their mandated obligations. You got your FADEC, albeit a year late. Pity the same thing didn't happen to the HC2. 29 people would have stayed alive.

What on earth is this obsession with the bloody Chinook here - I just do not get it, and am being bombarded with wholly irrelevant PMs about the Chinook HC.2 as well. I've never been near a Chinook, let alone be associated with anything related to it.

The Chinook FADEC software issue was more than a decade earlier, and nothing at all to do with the T800 FADEC or its software. The Chinook was Boeing and Textron, the T800 was Rolls Royce and Honeywell. I doubt that the people involved in writing the code for the T800 FADEC, who were located at the other end of the USA, and were ten years later, even knew any of the people that had written the Chinook software.

The T800 (as the CTS800) had FAA certification (and the FAA had done a full analysis of the FADEC code before certifying it). It also had US DoD certification, based on the FAA work I believe, and was ready to slot into the cancelled Comanche (for which it had been designed). It was also flying in the Super Lynx 300, with the Malaysian Navy, and there were a bunch of other customers lined up for either variants of the Super Lynx or re-engining older Gem powered models with the T800/CTS800. I'm not aware of there ever having been any issues with that FADEC software.

Last edited by Old_Slartibartfast; 21st Nov 2022 at 20:52.