PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Concern: Am I too old?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2022, 17:00
JD1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPL(H) training aged 44

I have searched this forum for similar threads and can't find them except in airline related chat. I'm 44yrs old and part way into CPL(H) training in UK having completed all my exams via CAA in UK. My ambition is to get IR and try to get work in North Sea / Air Ambulance, but I'm seriously doubting if this is an unrealistic ambition based on my age and would really appreciate some opinions. A few years ago, one of my relatives who flew for Bond Helicopters in Aberdeen as a captain told me I was far too old and should forget it and focus on my career as an engineer in wind energy. He was a wise and experienced person, but also rather negative, hence I'd be really keen for a few other views; my gut feel is telling me I should have just listened to him. The other thing that concerns me is that the UK is heading into a recession of unknown length and that will surely mean there are less pilots jobs to go round unless other factors overcome it. Any opinions would be really appreciated, many thanks