PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus "departure change" check
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2022, 15:36
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone.

First of all thank you for your responses. Second of all, while the experience gathered from all of us here makes for interesting discussions, suggestions and whatnot, my focus when asking this question was in asking if someone could have information on how or when Airbus wants us to do the checklist, or how other operators are managing this particular topic. Therefore, this isn't a generic question of "should I run a checklist?", but definitively a specific one, that needs information from those with knowledge on Airbus' current SOPs, since this change was introduced in their latest change of SOPs.

My understanding of the concept of the checklist is quite similar to what Denti and sonicbum are saying: If all it takes to fly the different FPLN is just to activate the SEC FPLN and nothing else (with no changes to what was briefed), no need to run the check. Need to change anything else (flap setting, for instance)? It becomes a threat, and as mentioned by Denti, a suitable mitigation would be to run the checklist. That being said, if there were no preparations for the change, then one would definitively need to do the checklist, as by design, is the purpose of it: it is necessary to recalculate speeds, possibly even configuration and initial altitude, brief the departure... i.e., a re-briefing, which is the trigger for the C/L.

Flight Detent , while I understand your idea and your reasons about not performing these kind of things, I based this scenario (which is actually a real life example in my operation, and not a too uncommon one) on the premise that both the FCOM and the FCTM state that one of the uses for the SEC FPLN is to prepare in advance for both a SID or a runway change. I've had a few examples of unprepared late runway or flight path changes, both departing and arriving, and it can become quite a hectic deal and the window for errors opens up; then I've had some other examples of previously prepared changes (when such a thing can be done) and, as you mentioned, one can't help but notice the difference in workload, heads-down time, crew coordination and a couple of more benefits.

Vessbot my intention with this topic is nothing more than me trying to understand how to use the tools provided by the OEM as they intended us to.

I reckon vilas may have a thing or two to say about this.

Once more, I appreciate your comments and insights on this topic!