PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - calling all female pilots/wannabe pilots
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2022, 15:07
Ayay299

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fl

Hi all

this is a question for female pilots….

I am considering a career shift and would like to start my pilot studies. I am a 42 year old female and i am trying to weigh the pros and cons of making such a drastic shift. The pro is that I would pursue something I love but the con is my age(I feel).

Basically I might have my frozen ATPL by 45yrs old and my window for work is from 45 to 60 or 65 (assuming i am maintain good medicals throughout).

Most advices I received were pushing me to go ahead with my pursuit . However, these advices have come from men. Since the pilot profession is dominated by men, I needed advice from females as they may experience things differently in the aviation industry.

I would love to hear from female pilots though, who:

1: started their studies around my age to understand more about their employment journey after their studies

2: who are currently in their 50s or 60s to understand what they face with employment at that age. For example, if a woman at that age is looking to swap airlines, would she be at a disadvantage. Would airlines rather hire a 60 yr old man than a 60 yr woman.

Things to note:

Money for training is not an issue but i am concerned with employability
I don’t have family commitments as don’t have children and there are no plans to have any
I am not fussed about captain rank as i know i am joining the industry late but happy to fly regardless

thanks