PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2022, 14:45
damienqc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoftwareDev
Well, here we are in November. I'm completely addicted to flying. I have my PPL and a Class 1. Kicking off ATPL studies in the new year.

I am probably an older version of you so here is my experience.

I am in my late 30s Software dev (actually a team manager on top of being a dev).

If you are unclear about the path in front of you, I suggest you do both in parallel. Keep and progress with your job, get pay increases. At the same time you can get new ratings/qualifications:
- Night VFR next
- Then do you cross country prerequisite. As part of it, do your 300NM XC for the CPL. Don't forget the stamps from FBOs on your logbook.
- When you are done with your Night VFR + XC, start the multi engine + ME-IFR. You will have 30 instrument hours left to do.

When you are done with ME-IFR you will realize you have many prerequisites done for the CPL. I am at this point.

In Canada (do not know for your country), when you start a CPL with the intent of finding a job, you can write off a lot of flying hours (back to PPL!) from your income.
That is where keeping your software job makes sense. As you go up in tax brackets, you can get more cash back from the government.

Also, another more important reason to keep your job is that you accumulate experience in that field. If for any reason, you need to go work back there in the future, you increase your chances to find a job.

In 2019, i was looking at the flight instructors leaving for companies with envy. I almost wanted to stop my software career and go all in. Less than a year later i was relieved to still have a job.
Depending on your financial situation, it will help you stay out of painful debt and remove some stress.

Last edited by damienqc; 20th Nov 2022 at 22:45.