PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Weapons Ranges status
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2022, 07:51
typerated

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts
UK Weapons Ranges status

It’s a long while since I have been involved with weapons ranges
I was wondering what was the current status generally considering the RAF don’t drop dumb bombs anymore.
so imagine there is very little trade.

Also I am interested to know is Otterburn still a target for aircraft - is the ‘Airfield’ still there?
Is Wiley Sike still the weapons part of Spadeadam - I can’t imagine what uses the range anymore.
I’m kind of surprised Spadeadam is still going I’d assumed most of the EW training is done on the sim? I’m guessing there are still a fair few people working there and most days they don’t see any trade?

Is Luce Bay still active and the trials range? If not where are Boscombe/ Warton weapons trials done these days – the US?

I see Pembrey is still a range - but as there are only a handful of Hawk T2s and they don't carry weapons and the SHARS are long gone I’m at a loss to imagine what uses the place apart from maybe helicopters?

In fact it looks like Tain, Holbeach, Donna and Pembrey are still active – I’d have thought 2 ranges would have had more than enough slots for all possible users – say Holbeach and Tain to give good geographical coverage. But I’m probably missing something?

I’d be fascinated to hear any insights on the current state of play.