PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2022, 12:01
Chugalug2

Received 226 Likes on 70 Posts
FB, thanks for the kind words and no problem with your disagreeing with me, which surely is in the nature of a conversation. We don't have to agree but should tolerate the views that we disagree with. This thread has wandered somewhat from that ideal, which tells you more about those who lack tolerance than it does about those whose views they oppose.

The great days of the Hendon Air Displays (and no, I wasn't around then to witness them!) was to make this nation 'air-minded'. I would suggest that the nation is very air-minded these days, given the increasing foot fall in our air terminals. It may be entertained by air displays, but it has plenty of evidence about the effects of Air Power on the TV news alone. Is it the job of the RAF to entertain or to more effectively confront those who oppose us? The other reason for Air Displays such as those of the Red Arrows is to aid recruitment. I can only refer to my own experience as a schoolboy CCF cadet. It was far more important to me to go solo in an Air Cadet glider than it was to watch an RAF aerobatic team display. If you want to recruit, then invest more in the Air Cadets and give them back their gliders!

But all this is thread drift (there, condemned out of my own mouth!). My only justification is that in disbanding the Reds you would not only improve UK Air Power, you would also perhaps solve the problems inherent with this anomalous unit whereby practice and procedure common to RAF operational units i(like the QCS) is laid aside the better to follow its own agendas, personal or organisational.