PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-10
Thread: Luton-10
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2022, 21:44
D7666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
With no luggage space and the inability to walk from one end of the train to the other looking for empty seats does nothing to enhance the service particularly when the new 12 carriage walkthrough Thameslink trains are far superior.

The EMR electric trains are meant to have been refurbished by now from 2+3 seating to 2+2 seating but I have yet to encounter one.
EMR (360s) none reseated yet and, to my knowledge, not even any contract to do this has been let [well none announced anyway].

As here be not a trains forum I won't elaborate, especially as this is rumour, but there is a rumoured possibility of an alternative but similar unit type being cascaded over that does have gangways throughout (350/2s). Although these too are currently 2+3 seating not 2+2. It would be 1-2 years I'd estimate before this could happen even if it is true.

It is suggested elsewhere that as from 12/2022 timetable change the current EMR service will - at last - be 12car - in theory. At least a 12car will give customers with baggage overall more space to find a seat IF they have the time and nouce to do that and prepared to walk a bit at both StPancras and Luton Parkway - an issue being that both stations layout w.r.t. steps and access tends to place them towards the London end of any train.

None of it is very good for an "airport express" service which it is by nature if not by name.