PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chocks away! Airfix’s Spitfire takes to the skies again.
Old 18th Nov 2022, 16:31
Pypard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to believe some comments here regarding cost (or "pricepoint" as BS-ridden management types say). Airfix is currently on a roll with a superlative Anson in 1/48 scale (at £40-odd) and the 1/24 Typhoon pretty much saved their bacon I recall.

To the point. A 1/24 scale Spitfire at less than £100 is extremely good value. You can easily spend twice that on a 1/32 scale kit. The days of six kits for tuppence and enough left for the bus ride home never existed. Airfix will do very well from this and allied to their new type of plastic (which allows for crisper detail), it looks like it will be an instant classic and will serve them well for a long time.

It's also worth noting that Kotare's long-awaited (and likely superlative) Spitfire kit is going to cost more than the Airfix kit, despite being to smaller 1/32 scale.

Anyway I'm off back to my 1/24 race car kits. They cost £150+ but I'm happy with that. Because if I don't like it I don't buy. But I wouldn't whinge about it.