PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SR22 down near Bruges, (BE) - BRS saved the day
Old 17th Nov 2022, 21:54
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
Never flown with BRS, and no idea what I would have done. If you don't mind: Did you consider an off-airport landing, or where you pretty sure from the start you were going to pull the chute? Thanks for coming on here and responding to the other questions!

edit: just read your account on the above link. Sounds like you made the right choice.
When the vibration started, I declared a PAN PAN PAN and asked for a diversion to Ostend. When the prop detached it was an immediate decision to use CAPS. As I was at FL100 when it happened, I had lots of time to find the right place to pull as I descended. Eventually I pulled at about 3000 ft.

As a side note: the field I landed in looked quite flat from the air. After the aircraft came down and I got out, it became very clear that it was anything but and also had a wire fence I hadn't seen. If I had tried to land on it, I would definitely have ended up inverted with about 250 litres of Avgas for company.