PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cleared for an approach - Can you descend and when?
Old 17th Nov 2022, 03:53
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In reference to the TLV clearance:

Fly into LAX couple times a month, for years. Always, from cruise level: “descent via the arrival, contact approach”. That gets me down to 12K’. First contact with approach:”cleared for the ILS”. Step down altitudes from 12K’ are on the Jepp for the approach, so follow those down to GS intercept at 1900’. All this is on a defined track, any headings will get me an altitude from ATC. In your example, you were cleared to the minimum altitude for the STAR, and subsequently cleared for the associated approach. You should have descended according to the descend profile of the approach plate. That is literally the definition of an approach clearance, :”follow the lateral and vertical path of the approach.”

In general, if ambiguity exists, ask for clarification. In the US, as stated, it will almost always be:”maintain XXX till established, cleared for the approach, if not on a published segment. As soon as you are established you are free to either descend to the published minimum altitude, or intercept the path from XXX.

To get back to your original question, I would always follow the minimum altitude of the segment I am on, so that could mean crossing the IAF at 3K’, but only if the segment prior to the IAF had a minimum altitude of 3K’. Or I could intercept at 5K’. In the US there’s no requirement or expectation either way.

As far as an ICAO reference, was an ATCO for a few years, ATP(L) JAA/FAA, 25 years, but no idea…..

Last edited by hans brinker; 17th Nov 2022 at 04:08.