PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC - Surely this must be the end
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2022, 11:09
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandy Reith
A very well known and highly experienced instructor and charter pilot, retired a couple of years ago, confided to me that the initial ASIC was acquired (when first promulgated) and was used until retirement.

This person flew regularly from the base security controlled airport (SCA) to and fro to many other SCAs.

Never pulled up for wearing an expired card.

Apart from the obvious impediment to the general attraction of GA and therefore contributing to its decline, it’s meant that some outback flyers have been reluctant to service their aircraft where maintenance is, for some, within practical reach only at an SCA.

Broken Hill would likely be a good example, used to be a very busy GA airport with several dozen aircraft on tie-downs and numbers parked in and around the now non existent maintenance business. Last time there about four years ago, maybe half dozen GA aircraft.

Another unfortunate unintended consequence is that there are far fewer knowledgeable eyes at SCAs, eyes that might pick up on suspicious behaviour.

There’s been a few suggestions in this thread about how to change the ASIC to make it more palatable. I’m drawn to LB’s thoughts:-
I’ve always been struck by the fact that many pilots are their own worst-enemy. They revel in the mystique of aviation, which merely invites more and more regulation and bureaucratic intrusion. Flying is ‘special’. We must make sure only special people - like me - can fly. People with the ‘right’ ‘background’ - like me.”
Human nature has its various qualities, ego is undoubtedly playing out here. Having been CFI and CP, including RPT, and active flying from the mid 60s, I look back and ask why should we not fly in a regulatory environment that would have similarity in risk management with other means of transport, such on our roads. I don’t agree that BFRs are necessary, and I heard today that CASA is requiring the instructor rating to qualify for Chief Pilot. The applicant, with one five pax twin and a couple of singles has been trying for three months (so far) to obtain a charter AOC, CASA keeps on coming back for rewrites. How different in the USA where there’s a practical template and minimal cost, or as it used to be here. I started with a charter licence by submitting a 12 page ops manual, no interviews and no fees paid. If Australians want to be strong in an uncertain world, and want prosperity for health and happiness then free enterprise must prevail, people vote with their money and assess risk. If we want to encourage responsibility then, at least by degrees, people must be allowed to choose.

It all comes back to politics, and few people actually engage with their representatives. Politics should be seen to be our most important skill in society and we need to grow up in this regard because all too often we denigrate politics and politicians. Maybe it’s because it’s too much like hard work to be really involved and it confronts our own behaviour in the sense of what we would be like if in the shoes of MPs.
I know a few people that I wouldn't trust to mind my wallet for 10 minutes who have ASICs.

I always thought the concept was OK but the months that it takes to get one smacks of an idea that was never executed properly.

I guess there has to be some form of filter to ensure nutters don't get onto the airside of an airport (unless they buy a ticket), but always was of the opinion it should be valid for at least 5 years. I have no idea why it was set at 2 years unless it's to align with the prison sentence of 2 years that usually precludes you from doing certain things (being ineligible to stand for the House of Representatives or the Senate under s44 of the Constitution for example) so perhaps they're worried that someone might get jailed then come out and still have a valid ASIC.

It's probably a good idea to have a refresher online training module every couple of years but make the pass valid for 5 or even 10 years. We issue Passports and Drivers Licenses for 10 years, why not an ASIC.

The argument that it won't stop someone could be used for guns also, law abiding gun owners always follow the rules - or most of the time - and make sure storage and registration, etc. etc. is correct but criminals don't apply for a firearms license if they want to shoot someone or rob a bank.