PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2022, 05:36
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman
I am also concerned, from a UK perspective, why there were 5 people on the B17? UK rules dictate that only the minimum operating crew should be aboard during any display flying. I would expect that to be 2, or at the most 3?
Originally Posted by Bobby G
The way they justify the minimum crew of 5, is to add "safety observers" to the crew. This has been an ongoing conversation for over 20 years. But hard to defend. The FAA has long contended that only essential personnel should be on board so this accident will have lots of consequences.
They do this on the B-29 and I was guessing that they do this on the other large bombers too but Bobby G confirmed it. On the B-29 they are referred to as 'left scanner' and 'right scanner' and they are there to keep an eye on engines, visually confirm flaps and gear if necessary, look after people in the rear compartment if needed and keep their eyes outside for other traffic.
Originally Posted by EXDAC
If the left waist gunner position was manned the person stationed there would have had a clear view of the approaching P-63. Was everyone on board briefed to call conflicting traffic or were they just along for the ride? Quite possible that a lumbering B-17 couldn't have made a significant difference in separation but I see no reaction at all in any of the video.
Not just briefed, they were part of the crew and there for that purpose. They probably didn't have time to take any action (as Arm out the window already said two posts back).