PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair near Gympie, Qld
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2022, 01:15
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
There can be problems with this if too many vehicles in an area are transmitting, you can actually saturate the receivers ability to decipher all threats. What happens after saturation point probably then defeats having the devices broadcasting. A bigger question is how to avoid these events happening in close proximity to airports, naturally it's where aircraft converge and there are many limits to what see and avoid can do, even in controlled airspace where you are given traffic many collisions have occurred between known traffic, some with ACAS. Just have to watch the warbird collision in the US, should never have happened but it did. The biggest cure is orderly traffic flow, so everybody is doing what they are expected to do. Most collisions occur near a field when somebody is doing something not expected in the course of departing or arriving. I'm all for ACAS but its only one defense and a last one at that after all others have failed.
I’ve had Tcad (poor mans Tcas) in my aircraft for over 20 years now. It’s works off transponder pings. When I first got it I seemed to be one of the few that had a light aircraft with a traffic alert system. When I first had the Tcad fitted I got the feedback that most pilots could see no reason for it outside of an IFR environment.

Now it seems that traffic alert systems are a must have though the government, or CASA, or somebody else, must pay to have these systems installed.