PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-10
Thread: Luton-10
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2022, 18:41
pabely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is, if the capacity does not increase at Luton, it will somewhere else. Reduced local jobs etc.
The area becomes less attractive to employers and some might relocate.
Many here moan that the hangers are empty of skilled engineers, except TUI. Trouble is the hangerline is used for pax.
If TUI or Easyjet move out of Luton, how many people in Wigmore would put some green space a priority over a local job?
If T2 is dead let's at least get that area handed over for development in another way. Already lost out on a significant facility for Gulfstream. Get Harrods moved and push a new taxiway east of Foxtrot again, which would free up more space within the CTA and perhaps more cargo.
Less is best is not a solution, it just moves jobs somewhere else. I bet North East Herts can't wait for further Stansted expansion.
London has lost out recently to Paris in being the largest stock exchange in Europe. Why, because of the thirst of demand for luxury goods/brands from emerging markets from their expanding Middle classes.I doubt many of them really care about climate change as their manufacturing costs are so much lower and they can once again make our traditional industry uncompetitive.
In my line of work I have seen colleagues jobs first go to China, then East Europe, now India.
We should embrace expansion because if we don't, someone else will. It's a big old world out there and if we do not cease opportunities, someone else will!