PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair near Gympie, Qld
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2022, 05:04
Cloudee

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts
It appears RAAus tried to get the ATSB to investigate this one but they weren’t interested.

“It is with great sadness that I inform you that on 9 November 2022, an RAAus aircraft and a Glider were involved in a mid-air collision near Gympie Airport in Queensland. The pilots of both aircraft tragically lost their lives in the accident.

On behalf of RAAus and our members, I offer our sincerest condolences to all involved including families, friends and others affected by this tragedy.

Mid-air accidents of this nature are rare in Australia and a factor making this accident particularly unique is that it involves aircraft administered by different organisations. On Thursday I spoke to the ATSB Chief Commissioner to convey that RAAus would like the ATSB to independently investigate the accident, however, I was informed they would not. The Queensland Police will therefore conduct the investigation in order to provide information to the Queensland Coroner. RAAus will continue to support the Queensland Police with their investigation.

I would like to thank the Police, other emergency services, and the Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA) for their professionalism and way they’ve conducted themselves during this event.”

Maxine Milera
Acting CEO