PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair near Gympie, Qld
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2022, 02:57
Bosi72

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Binghi
I’m a bit mystified. We don’t have an accident report to refer to. Reading this thread seems all we got is media reports. What exactly is the lesson ?

How do we know that the two pilots weren’t aware of each other ? Were there a medical issue that caused one aircraft to suddenly veer into the other ?

There is a media report of the aircraft falling out of cloud. Perhaps one aircraft had lost control and spun down onto the other aircraft… looking out the window won’t help there.

I’d posit that in aviation ‘learning’ comes via researched and verified information.
There is no offical ATSB report, nor there will be any. This is a matter for Police to investigate, which will likely involve both RAAus and Gliding Federation Australia.
However, we can discuss and put ourselves into either position, and what would we do differently.
Personally I would love to see FLARM gliders on my efb, and I believe glider pilots would love to see ADSB powered traffic on their FLARMs too.
Unfortunately this is not possible due to legal and technical limitations of two standards.