PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2022, 11:32
flying_melon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitsunday
Ahhahahahha. I need a good laugh on this.
So what you are saying is, it is Okay for Harvard and Stanford and all other elite schools to lower the bar of entry in order to give the under privilege people a chance, but to keep the exam as hard as it should be. Is this your defense? Is this your mentality?
I would be absolutely worrying if you did make it to the program.
What's the obsession with perceived prestige? What is your mentality? Are you afraid people are going to think less of you and your time at Cathay because the cadet selection process is not as rigorous as it used to be? I get it. Your interviews were tougher. You jumped through more hoops to earn your spot. You were the great chosen one. Congrats! You can pat yourself on the back every morning to remind yourself how special you are, which I have no doubt you are already doing. But with that out of the way, let's give the less special ones a chance to prove themselves. If they are as awful as you claim, they wouldn't pass their exams, wouldn't get their licenses, and wouldn't be flying any planes. As much as I agree Cathay is a ****ty employer, they have a lot more to lose if an unqualified pilot caused an accident than you. So something tells me actual pilots are being held to the same high standards as before, but more cadets are being given the chance to prove their worth. Thank goodness cadets aren't flying their planes, eh?

Using Harvard and Stanford as examples is also absurd. Just because someone went to an "elite" school doesn't mean they are more capable than someone who didn't. Similarly, just because someone was offered a role at Cathay prior to this supposed decrease in standards doesn't mean they are more capable than someone who was offered a role recently.
  1. While most students in elite schools worked very hard to get in, most of them also came from extreme privileges that gave them ample opportunities to succeed. I know quite a few of these people personally.
  2. Some of my high school classmates who were at the top of the class were rejected from these schools despite having similar stats as those who were admitted because schools like Harvard simply cannot admit every single qualified student. Hence, admissions often come down to luck and other non-academic factors.
  3. What's taught at Harvard is not all that different from what's taught at nearby Boston University or UMass Amherst. Harvard just has the better brand name and connections, which has very little to do with the ability of its graduates.
  4. People are more than the name of their school and employer.
There's enough Cathay bashing (which they deserve) in this forum. So when someone interested in becoming a Cathay cadet asks for advice, either be helpful or be quiet. There's no need to repeat what's already been said a thousand times. If they are still interested after reading this forum, they don't care - and neither should you since you've clearly moved on to greener pastures. Good for you, but many locals don't have the same opportunities as you. Stop looking back and move on.