PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser eye surgery help please
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2022, 23:23
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
Not directly on topic, but I had cataract surgery seven or eight years ago, on the NHS. Laser surgery wasn’t acceptable to the U.K. CAA then, nor were multi focal replacement eye lenses.

In my case the cataracts were partly age related but apparently also partly genetic (my sister had the same problem).

I agreed before the operations to have my eyes’ focal length optimised for long distance for flying, meaning that I would need reading glasses. This wasn’t a problem because I’d used them for some years before the ops and to my surprise the new lens prescription afterwards was the same as the first one I’d originally had.

I was able to resurrect my old readers (two pairs) and use them. However I’ve very recently had another eye test at an opticians’s because the frames of my favourite pair finally fell apart from metal fatigue. I was pleased to find that the new prescription is still the same as the first I ever had, which was over 21 years ago. The lady who carried out the test told me that my distance vision is really good, especially for someone of my age.

My recommendation for anyone considering eye surgery is to go ahead and get it done. I was rather apprehensive beforehand and during the first op in particular because I knew that if it went wrong my career was finished. I did need a period of recovery leave from work (the two operations were separated by just a few weeks and the CAA require six weeks after each before considering a medical renewal).