PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2022, 19:47
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 316 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobby G
For instance, the bombers make left hand patterns with 400ft passes down the runway centerline while the fighters fly opposite passes down the left side of the runway in left hand patterns at 200 ft. While it looks like total mayhem, those are two shows in one. Although the separation is minimal, it is there.
I believe that's sort of how the Spitfire tail chases at Duxford work - the Merlin Spits (think I've seen as many as 7 or 8) fly along the the display line (slightly to the north of the hard runway?) and pull up into tear drops at either end to the north of the display line and behind the shoulder of the crowd so to speak. Meanwhile the Griffon Spits have their own display line perhaps 500' to the south of the runway and do their tear drops to the south. It looks and sounds fantastic and probably rather more "in yer face" than it actually is. Got a vague recollection of seeing one pilot roll gently outwards at the apex of the tear drop, presumably having lost sight of the one ahead, and then carefully rejoin behind the tail end Charlie... I do get a bit uncomfortable seeing low-level loops by warbirds these days!