PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2022, 13:02
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In reality, people are as neglectful, distracted, tired, misunderstanding, and incompetent as us. It is rarely the case that they are malicious."
Agreed. With a very very few, terrifying exceptions, I don't expect that a pilot ever takes off with the intent to have an accident, much less cause injury nor death. It's an accident, that's why they call them that! Very sadly, this could appear to be intentional, I'm absolutely willing to believe that's the furthest from reality, it just happens to look that way.

We pilots must use our skill, and recollection of past bad events, to actively prevent to accumulation of minor errors which become a serious event. When things get busy, distracted, loss of situational awareness, I shift my mind down a gear, not up, What can I do to unload the situation at this moment? It's really tough, but sometimes it's better to abandon the maneuver, and follow a planned escape path, than to tighten the turn to try to keep up/catch up. I don't want point a finger, that doesn't help. I would like to recognize an opportunity to reduce risk; have airshows, display with pride, let the generations appreciate historical flight - with wide formations if any, and the least maneuvering needed just to make it happen. Simply flying these proud antique airplanes is all the showing off that is needed, aggressive maneuvering during the display doesn't make the showing off any better.