PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2022, 23:37
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is so sad. One of the things which makes it sad is the apparent appetite of audiences and pilots to see historically valuable flying antiques flown aggressively. Can we not just be content with seeing these magnificent airplanes simply fly at all, without having to see them maneuvered in a way which increases risk so much? We pilots should not need to be regulated into gentle flying, it should be pride and instinct to fly antiques with extra care and caution, considering their historical value. For the few antique airplanes I have flown, it's always been "fly it gently, as though it's irreplaceable"!

Absolutely nothing in our industry gets better because an aggressive pilot flies any aircraft and collides with another aircraft, or the ground, it's bad all the way around. I worry that some pilots are not afraid of f**king up enough to just fly it gently!

When I worked with a well known US airplane restorer, formation flying (and thus air to air photography with their airplanes) was forbidden. This was because the progenitor of the excellent restoration process and STC for these airplanes was killed in an air to air with one of his own airplanes. I saw their point! Just fly the plane, forget the showing off!