PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2022, 08:13
SOX80

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
Minor?

There’s no such thing as minor sexual harassment, there’s just sexual harrasment.

And folk who commit it deserve to go.
I have to disagree with this. The problem with the new legislation is that it seems to bunch a huge variety of behaviour under the same title, as so often in modern discourse there seems to be no nuance. Calling someone babe is to my mind less serious than making an unsolicited advance which is less serious than exposing yourself. They are all probably unacceptable behaviour (although people call each other babe/love all the time!) but I would suggest the first could be dealt with by having a word with the perpetrator and the others may well be a case for dismissal. Sexual harassment, like any other 'crime' has a grade from Minor to Serious, hence the need in criminal cases for a judge to decide a sentence based on the severity of the offence. There is a real risk here that people make an error of judgement or even just an error of perception and find themselves suddenly being accused of 'sexual harassment', dismissed from the service and probably prevented from meaningful further employment. I am not suggesting turning a blind eye and ignoring this (as has clearly been done in the past) just that we need to be careful and not swing from one extreme to another.