PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller strap strikes passenger after take off from Canberra
Old 12th Nov 2022, 02:37
megan

Received 427 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by vegassun View Post
Who said anything about condition lever being out of feather? The CL start detent IS feather. If you actually read my post I wrote, "mechanic could hold the prop stationary while you started it."
Posted by Krusty I've more than 15,000 hours on type, and I would suggest such an action would be both the first and the last time any individual tried that!
Why would that be the last time some one tried that Krusty? Honest question based on my experience with free turbines.
From what I've heard starting with a prop strap on is very noticeable, so if the start is monitored as it should be you would notice an abnormal temp
My experience with free turbines on helicopters and starting with the rotor held by the aircraft fitted brake or rotor held by an engineer until he no longer could there was no difference in start parameters, in particular EGT.

Particular aircraft have their own idiosyncrasies. The Britannia had a 4,450SHP Proteus free turbine and the prop remained in positive pitch upon shutdown, a prop brake held all props after shutdown and was released prior to start, if there was a wind present from the rear that caused the prop to rotate in the opposite direction it could pick up a considerable rotation speed in the wrong direction which caused considerable bearing load and adverse effects of gas temps over the turbine-before rotating in the intended direction, rather like starting with the wind from the rear on some aircraft. The procedure was to hold a blade between finger and thumb until the turbine began to drive the prop shaft, the blade then moved ever so gently out of the holder's finger/thumb.

Have had to have aircraft repositioned on rare occasions when wind up the rear caused start EGT issues.