PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2022, 18:58
meleagertoo

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORAC [img]images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]
Russian paratrooper on his last order in Kherson region:
"The last order was change into civilian clothing and run in any direction you wanted"
That would be a breach of the Geneva Convention by the officers and their managers.
That surely is not right?
How can it be a breach of GC to tell your defeated troops to try to save themselves any way they can?
Surely that would also imply that an escaping PoW in civvies is beyond the GC? Numerous precedents in the European none-too distant past would suggest otherwise...

Also, before getting too euphoric about Ukraine's alleged "Great Victory" we should wait a prudent period before acknowleging this not so much a UKR 'victory' (which it isn't purely by force of arms) rather then a RUS strategic withdrawal - and pause to see where the status quo lies in a few days or week's time. Russia seldom cedes territory without a strategic plan and UKR will have great trouble following them across the river while RUS will remain able to bombard from the other side. Kherson may yet be pulverised. Ley's not let out enthuisan get the better of us. The RUS have a plan I suspect, for once. I'd be thilled if they did not but it's a bit premature to be crowing just yet.
Time will tell, and if all goes well perhaps another bridge properly dropped might even give hope for Crimea to return to civilisation.

My point is...
as we say in Norfolk, 'howd you haard bor..." (ie, don't be too hasty, lad)
Slava Ukraini.

Last edited by meleagertoo; 11th Nov 2022 at 19:17.