PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyby School Leon
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2022, 10:26
BoeingLudo737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougCarti
Hi guys,
My name is Douglass and I wanted an updated review or guidance about the school from a current student or a recent graduate, most replies on this thread are not very old but as we all know the flight industry is very volatile. A lot can change from one year to another, for example in Portugal, Sevenair has recently bought L3 and GFS, and a few flight schools have recently opened up in Spain. Over the last few months, my flight school options have drastically changed and the more recent reviews or information the better.

I came across FlyBy at the Portugal Air Summit, I live in Lisbon and drove down to see the airshows and research flight schools. I visited almost every single Flight School that was there and I must say that FlyBy was the most appealing to me, their prices seemed fair, their program seemed really good, their fleet looked like it had multiple planes and big enough for me ( I'm 6´2 or 189cm so this was a concern compared to other schools with Cessna 150 which I barely fit in), and the fact that the University of Burgos is affiliated with the program really interested me. I spoke with two gentlemen, Jaime and Miguel, and they were absolutely helpful and friendly. We spoke about their program a little and even joked around for a few minutes. So far FlyBy is my main choice but as I said, it's a volatile industry and a lot can change. I plan to enroll next year, and by then I will most likely have a PPL from the USA because I will stay over the summer with my family there and fly for a few months, I will be training in a PA 180 which I believe also part of their fleet and have around 100h. I wanted to know what advantages this will get me and if it is worth it at all, or if besides the hours and experience it might be a waste of money.

From what I understood from speaking with Miguel is that FlyBy doesn't really have any banks or financing options and wanted a little more information or advice on this matter. Additionally, I wanted a recommendation on which course to choose from and if I should use their accommodations or rent my own apartment, cook my own food, etc.
Another question of mine is how often do you really fly and in how many months do most student finish the program, from speaking to Jaime and Miguel I understood the average student takes around 16-18 months and fly 4-5 times per week. This seemed amazing and almost too good to be true, not that I don't believe them but approval of this from a student would be great. I will visit the school during one of its open days and get a better understanding of everything.

Most reviews seem credible and positive (except from that one guy Juan or whatever) for this school so I'm really excited to hear some feedback,

I'm still new to this website so If anyone would like to contact me my email is [email protected] (yes with 2 SS) the more the better so don't hesitate to send an email
It's not a great school from what I have been hearing. They might have a big fleet but that doesn't mean that their quality is good. Reliable sources also mentioned that their success rates at airline assessment are very low. Not worth the money