PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - November 2nd 2022 - BBC report heli down in Wales
Old 7th Nov 2022, 21:10
helichris

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Modern equipment does make night flying far easier, but NVG would be much more tricky if you’re dealing with passengers and or baggage and in any case, never have the luxury of a flying helmet to attach a set of goggles to!

I was privileged enough, right at the end of my RAF time, to be allowed to do some night flying in New Mexico with a certain USAAF military unit. Flying a CH-53 for the very first time, wearing NVG and shortly afterwards being allowed to land in the desert on FLIR was very satisfying. I was also allowed to fly a Blackhawk for the first time, again by night with NVG. The crew then very trustingly allowed me to have a go at air to air refuelling behind a C-130. I’m pleased to say I caught the basket at first attempt and we were able take the fuel we needed. It made me realise how far behind the times the RAF was at that time. Having flown a second career in the civilian world made me realise how much further behind the CAA rules were. However, modern civilian helicopters have “moving map” navigation equipment that I could only have dreamed of during my military career.
The Air Force and CH-53's and they just let you have a go at air refueling? Hmmmmm.