PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2022, 18:12
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all,

Our company is about to buy as us all new noggin cups....

Over the years this thread exists, I read about everything - the last comments about helmet brands are 1-3 years back.

Did anyone learn something new about new models, brands? Suggestions?

We are using the helmets for doors closed passenger flights and doors removed external load ops.
As it is I don't see us going into NVG ops anytime soon...

What I have so far:

- Gentex (HGU-56 or SPH-5, I understand the 56 makes the 5 pretty much obsolete...)
- Gentex ALPHA Eagle
- MSA (Gallet)
- EVO (Evolution Helmets)
- Northwall (LMT)

From comments above it seems the Northwall has a quality and customer service problem, so - Northwall out.
From comments above it seems the MSA Gallet lasts longer than the ALPHA.
From comments above it seems the Gentex HGU-56 is a great helmet, but not out of the box - it needs a bit of modifying - aftermarket is available
No comments on the Evo...

Personally I saw the Alphas in action with my colleagues while I was happy with my SPH-5. I did see the Alphas deteriorate rather quickly (hot and humid environment), but couldn't try one out, as I seem to have the bigger (harder??) head.....

So - from my experience with the SPH-5 and one or the other comment I do tend towards a HGU-56 (possibly with mods mentioned above), at least one colleague wants to replace the Alpha with another Alpha...
Personally I want 2 lenses - dark (sun), yellow/high contrast (fog, low vis)

IF anyone has time with a EVO or various of the mentioned helmets, please post your experience!
IF anyone flies a brand not listed above, please post your experience!!

Cheers all,

3top