PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2022, 14:25
Not_a_boffin

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Has there been a "War" with a Peer/Near Peer Enemy since the 45's were commissioned that required a max deployment tasking?

I would ask the same for the two Carriers?

Is the RN fully equipped, manned, have logistic support capacity to wage a real War.....now....and if not....when shall it be?.
I'm unaware of any Peer / Near peer war any of us in the West have been involved in in this century.

You have half your Carrier fleet in port for extended repairs, the 45's seem to be performing only partial tasking, the F-35 program is a shambles....it does beg asking hard questions with straight forward honest answers.
It's actually not a dissimilar amount to the USN at the minute. Have a gander at how many are in maintenance unavailabilties and/or RCOH at the minute. The T45s are doing plenty of tasking - when they are available. Availability is currently constrained due to ongoing propulsion upgrade programmes - which are a consequence of decisions made in around 2003 and - contrary to the beliefs of certain individuals that are incapable of answering simple questions - nothing to do with carriers. That has been a significant issue over the last eight years and is also related to the level of ILS provided. Both are in the - slow - process of being addressed.

Not sure the F35 can be described as a shambles. The UK force stand-up probably could be - but I'd suggest that's down to MFTS and budgetting, rather than anything to do with the F35 itself.

As I see it....the RN bet the house on the F-35 and went with non-standard carriers that have no Catapaults or angled decks for the operation of other types of airplanes and drones.....thus despite being big and pretty....they are designed for a single type of airplane.

The questions are directed at the decision makers.....not the crews who are among the best in the World and who have to work with the tools they are provided.
A common misconception. The choice to acquire large deck carriers - and their configuration - was a Joint decision, not purely RN. Is it perfect? Of course not. Are people trying to improve things? Yes - but they are hampered by a corporate atrophying of knowledge and budgets.

The carrier and F35 budgets are actually fairly small compared to those where the money really goes.