PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continued U.S interfering with foreign airlines
Old 8th Jan 2004, 20:08
HercBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point is to make sure that the fellow that shows up at the port of entry with the visa is, in fact, the same fellow who obtained the visa at the consulate.
Uhhhhh, have you entered the US with a visa lately, at least as a passenger ??? Since 1995 I have on multiple occassions.

Not once was my passport examined for less than 5 minutes by an immigration officer and all of my papers were ALWAYS in order. My appearance was always cared for, there was never an instance where my trip would be considered unusual (student visa entries coinciding with school breaks, work visa entries from major economic hub airports). All questions were answered in a respectful and legible manner. Yet, never did the review of my passport and visa last less than 5 minutes.

Should I mention the barcodes and engraving of the US visas ?

And even an easier question, if passports are so easy to forge, why not them forging a US or any passport that does not require a visa, and no fingerprinting, at all ???

Fingerprinting, especially by electronic sensors, can be fooled as well, and that isn't too hard, certainly takes less commitment than having flying lessons like some of the terrorists of 9/11 had. Of course you could make the requirements very hard and get about 50% of false positives due to smudging of prints or even rather stupid cuts on someone's fingers.

Beware the traveller that has actually burned his fingers by grabbing a hot pot lets say !!!

Off course the terrorists could always just sail into a small port or illegally enter the country any other way, and then just use an internal flight like 9/11.....

Anyways, the "fingerprinting" measure is at least more reasonable than the "congregate" rule which this thread was based on. I have yet to see a reasonable arguement behind that. And yes, terrorists managing to get on the same flight with no problems and then needing to meet before they act, as such providing a warning by the violation of this rule, does seem unreasonable.

As for 411, yes your point is totally understood, comply or stay out. Now this the attitude we want to see in captains making command decisions.

Let's just all wonder what will happen if all of the EU members decide to make the opposite rule a reality ???

Anyone knows where I can buy stock in the corporations owning the airports in Iceland and Norway ? Is Canada an option ???

Or better yet, let us all close all of our borders and see the world economy, with the airline industry first, reach the stone age....

I am probably breaking a new law right now, doubting the new security measures....