PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport billing by security check per pax
Old 5th Nov 2022, 18:44
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Airport billing by security check per pax

At many airports, one needs to wave the bar code from a boarding pass to gain access to the security screening area which allows entry to the airside departure gates.
Do airports in Europe ever have separate charges to an airline per passenger for 1) security screening and 2) gate access, or is it always just a generalised "airport usage" fee ?
If a passenger departing from an airport did not need to be security (re-)screened because their journey began at another *trusted* airport in the same country or another country (but on a separate ticket with a different airline) and thus said pax was already deemed "clean", does the airline carrying the pax on the 2nd leg get to save money (i.e. more than US$ 1) ?

To give a concrete example (the question is more about the general case, not specific to Copenhagen):
I flew from Aalborg in Denmark to Copenhagen with DAT. I then flew 3 hours later from Copenhagen to London with Easyjet. 2 separate tickets, 2 separate airlines. When I bought the tickets, each airline thought I was local O&D traffic and charged accordingly. Copenhagen airport trusts security at Aalborg, so no need for me to reclear security - I could walk straight to the onward gate. Have Easyjet (potentially) saved money because I didn't show a bar-code at CPH security screening, and thus CPH cannot charge Easyjet for my being frisked ?

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 7th Nov 2022 at 16:31. Reason: Fix typo