PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continued U.S interfering with foreign airlines
Old 8th Jan 2004, 19:37
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to say that I agree with 411A on this.

Unless things have changed in the last few months, pretty much any wannabe in the UK or Europe could hire a full-size simulator for sim check preparation etc., without having to prove anything. There are companies who buy spare sim time and use it for "management training", or simply for fun.

Similarly, the US approach to sky marshals, although not agreed with in the UK, is absolutely the prerogative of the US. The UK pilots may not like it, but the UK government does and that is pretty much "all she wrote", to coin an American phrase.

Are the current measures "window dressing"? Yes. Are they highly unlikely to stop a terrorist with any intelligence at all? Again, yes. Are they badly though out? Yes. Are they here to stay? Yes.

So maybe it would be better to find a way forward that satisfies the US need to protect their borders and citizens, and the sensibilities of those nations not wedded to the idea that "might is right".

Face it, this is going to happen. It is a done deal. Time to look ahead a little.

If I was a terrorist, I wouldn't be fooling with aircraft anyway. There are far more effective ways to achieve the destruction of targets in America, that require little or no effort getting around security.