PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capt. Tom Stoney BOAC
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2022, 19:06
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akerosid
I was watching a very interesting old BOAC video involving BOAC training at Shannon, on the VC10; I'm sure most of you would have seen this video - very well worth a watch if you haven't.
(82) 1970s BOAC AIRLINES PROMOTIONAL FILM "AIRLINE PILOT" 79844 - YouTube

The training captain here is one Capt. Tom Stoney. He had a very illustrious career with BOAC and also served in the RAF Reserve during the war (58 Sqn, Bomber Command, which flew Whitleys and Halifaxes); he was the captain who flew Her Late Majesty back on an Argonaut, after George VI died. He also flew the first Comet 4 - also the first jet flight to the US. Obviously, he became a VC10 training captain at some stage; just wondered if anyone knew of any other types he flew etc? Something tells he may also have flown the first 707 flight as well?
Something tells me the first BOAC 707 Captain was a guy named Millichamp?
From what I was told of the company back in those days, from someone that was there, it was a team of two halves. Them that liked American airplanes, and them that liked British aeroplanes.... "Go-around" vs "Overshoot" all that political nonsense.... then came the "shotgun marriage" with the dysfunctional family across the road......

Last edited by Private jet; 4th Nov 2022 at 19:32.