PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - November 2nd 2022 - BBC report heli down in Wales
Old 4th Nov 2022, 12:27
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I flew my first 14 years in the RAF without NVG Shy and that included CAs and field landings including with a crewman on PNG in NI along with some very challenging RNF flying in Cyprus.

I'm sure you will remember the RAF definition of a CA so that field certainly fits.

My point was that CA's without NVGs ramps the risk up markedly and with fare paying pax on board asks a lot of questions about the legality of it.

Can it be done? Sure, like others I have got the T shirt but is it a sensible thing to do on a commercial operation?

I wasn’t trying the challenge your credentials. I was referring to the fact that the majority of civilian night operations are still carried out under what the RAF began referring to a “reversionary night flying” about thirty years ago, ie without the use of individual night vision devices and compatible lighting.

The rules state that sites used for public transport must be adequately lit by night. Private sites for non public transport nights not necessarily so. For the last twenty years or so, working for non pt operators I’ve sometimes been without the privilege of operating from an adequately lit night site and many that wouldn’t be legal for PT. I have refused some and been castigated for doing so. On one occasion the owner accepted my decision but called in a commercial operator who did the job I’d refused on safety grounds, using a far less experienced pilot…but not from this operator.