PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Low level
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2004, 17:14
foldingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low-level Speedster

I thought the original question was from an interested enthusiast who had seen many a Bucc below him as he was cycling the A5 pass! Not a forum for sad old soaks, like me, who flew the Bucc at warpsnot (well subsonic warpsnot) as low as you could go.

If you are an old soak who has flown the Bucc and are not a member, but would like to be, of the now 10-year established Bucc Aircrew Association then drop me a PM identifying yourself and your "Bucc History" and I will advise the Membership Secretary. The BAA provides its very own forums electronically and in paper and bar room form for old soaks to exchange the friendly banter and apochryphal tales that made us such a formidable force in both the air and the social scene in days gone by.

Now. In answer to the original question, I quote from my retained copy of AP-101B-1202-14A Flight Reference Cards Buccaneer S Mk2A and 2B Issue No 5 August 1980 (AL No 3 May 1983).

Maximum Airspeeds
Clean: 580 kt IAS or 0.95M
Bomb Door Tank (locked open): 580 kt IAS or 0.9M (or store limit)
(rotation): 550 kt IAS or 0.85M

Max Accelerations (Indicated G)

Up to 44000lb AUW (below 0.88M) -3.1 to +6.0G
(at 0.95M) -2.75 to +4.4G

G linearly decreasing to

55000 to 59000lb AUW (below 0.88M) -2.1 to +4.0G
(at 0.95M) -2.0 to +3.0G

With stores (eg 1000lb bombs) on the pylons:

Max Airspeed (Mk2A): 560 kt IAS or 0.87M or 0.9M below 400 kts
The Mk2B Mach No was reduced by .02M because of its different shaped pylons.

So, there you have it - as I stated earlier "subsonic warpsnot" as low as you would dare to go and certainly below 50 ft (not prepared to commit in writing to anything else) over the 'oggin.

The great advantage, of course, was the bomb bay which unlike the Tornado (flown both) allowed the Bucc to cruise to the target at high speed and at a significantly reduced and very economic fuel rate!

Weapons delivery speeds - are for another day!!

Ah, the A5 Pass, the only place in Britain where you could fly legally at 250' MSD and still look up at the grockles pulling their caravans to the Welsh coast!!!

If you want to join us and flew the Bucc then send me a PM!

One very old soak now going back to his staff work!!!!