PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird in a Biplane
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2022, 00:20
megan

Received 426 Likes on 217 Posts
Yes FP, is our Trevor. A sad event, he used his aircraft (Beech 36, Baron, and about to purchase a DC-3) for charter, on the flight in question he was doing a newspaper run with a young pilot he was doing a check flight on with a view to employing the young lad. On departure from one of their stops at about 0100 local he pulled an engine on the lad and flew into the side of a hill, prop slash marks could be seen in the grass where they were in the process of restarting the shut down engine. A passenger on board was killed, the young lad injured, Trevor didn't have the sash safety belt across his shoulder and face planted the instrument panel causing head injuries. A main highway ran along the base of the low range of hills and a chap driving to work at 0600 noticed a red flashing light up the hill (the nav beacon), being a local he wondered what in the world is that so stopped to investigate and found the crash, Trevor had seemingly just passed away as his body was still warm. The young lad gave up flying and became a school teacher, returned to the cockpit in PPl capacity quite a number of years later.

You will note that my explanation differs in detail from the official accident report below, my explanation is as told to me by Bob Dickenson who visited the crash site immediately after.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24610/197404546.pdf

Trevor, flying as our jump pilot, crouched down facing camera while I have parachute check from instructor

Bob Dickenson far left serving the BBQ at aero club get together, youthful self between the two Ladies.