PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric Airplane Developments
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2022, 20:38
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Binghi
Pilot DAR politely asked that I avoid mention of ‘climate’ related issues. Seems I am unable to contribute to the thread.
There are other than climate issues to discuss and contribute on here; for instance the amount of 'wasted' energy that falls on the earth from the sun each day, which in my part of the world is ~1100W/m2 on a sunny day.

Even at the present efficiency of solar panels (say 17-19%) If just a small amount of this energy were harnessed it could power a lot of planes trains and automobiles, and it can be sourced close to where it's required. As with battery tech, when panel efficiency improves over time so will the ability to provide for more/fast/longer range transport. Given in my lifetime I've seen average panels rise from ~5% to what they are now I'm not as concerned about how to power these things as some people - I reckon that as the demand rises so will the supply.

Genghis the Engineer (that was interesting, several 'misspellings' of your handle came up when using the '@' reference) good on you for sticking around and spending your time in the wilderness as it were. If being a moderator is any reward (I'm well aware of the work it can involve) I expect we're all happy the dust and feathers have settled, congrats...

FP.