PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2022, 16:21
Flitefone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=TCAS FAN;11323791]
Originally Posted by shamrock7seal
So you're saying SOU will be prepared (subject to staffing) to be open regularly up to 23:00 once the extension is completed?

For a based LCC to make arrivals in before 23:00 is still, in my humble opinion, too tight. They need the flex to 00:00 or 01:00 to make it work factoring in delays and preventing diversions to alternates.[/QUOTE]

Looks as if even the flex 00:00 to 01:00 doesn't always work?
It works unless there is a long delay on the flight. The TUI diverts, and I believe there were several over the season, were due to a late running flight, they seemed good - usually till 01:30 - but beyond that not. The Airport actually advertises H24 availability by arrangement. I think this year has been exceptional everywhere for staff sickness and staff shortages generally.

The general point about LCC is correct though, they need early and late slots every day, the ability to run six sectors a day, a terminal that can cope with the passenger volumes, need for parking bays, and a runway that has sufficient capability to permit unrestricted flights to their chosen destinations. And in some cases, CATIII ILS. If any one of those elements is missing, then the prospect of LCC base diminishes. LGW for instance fails for Jet2 on the slot availability - probably until the northern (standby) runway is approved for regular use - 2030 ish. Or, for example, if EZY were to be sold to IAG, and has as a result to relinquish some of their existing portfolio at LGW.

FF