PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric Airplane Developments
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2022, 01:10
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
... Is sort of thread drift. But, in the context of discussion of electric airplanes, and the hope that they will have a small effect in reducing climate change, a little discussion on the drift....

I have, since 2007, been the person who issues the STC approvals the science installations on "Polar 5 & 6"

https://www.awi.de/en/expedition/air...polar-5-6.html

These airplanes are used, in part, to conduct exactly the polar research which provides the evidence of global temperature rising. What's the "proof"? Well, as you can read (paragraph 4) the towed survey bird (a part of the approvals I have issued) measures sea ice thickness. As the earth warms, the oceans warm. As the oceans warm, there is less sea ice. I have had to do additional approvals since 2007, to enable the crews to fly farther and farther to simply get to the ice, to measure its thickness, 'cause it's receding (melting) due to global warming. Glaciers I know are receding, the climate is changing. Whether mankind is the prime cause of global warming is open for discussion, but we certainly don't seem to be helping the situation much! So, electric airplanes, as developed over a long period, will play a small, very small, role in reducing emissions. And, electric airplanes will demonstrate to a skeptical public that aviation is in the game to do our part, as opposed to thumbing our nose at the problem.

Sure, electric planes have limited utility now, but it's not no utility, and what's there is needed. I have a personal interest in this, as I'm also a participant in the certification of Harbour Air's electric DHC-2 Beaver. As electric planes evolve, so will the improvements in batteries. So how about we keep the focus of this thread on being enthusiastic about electric airplane accomplishments....
Pilot Dar, from your thread starter post #1 you introduced the ‘climate’ discussion.

“…We GA pilots need to embrace this technology as much as we can, it will become a part of what keeps general aviation alive!…”

As well, there are other posts in this thread commenting on the ‘climate’ connection to electric aircraft development.

As far as I’m aware electric aircraft at this time in their development offer no improvement to the current fleet of aircraft so will not be ‘saving’ anything. I do though look forward to the future possibility’s.

Looking back about 100 years in the history of battery powered transport I note that Henry Ford were an enthusiastic supporter of electric cars though were never able to get a viable vehicle. Go back in history a bit further and you see Henry Ford made the first viable ‘everymans’ car about 100 years after the first engine powered vehicle were driven down the road. One needs to be mindful that things take time so shouldn’t run around shooting all the horses just yet.

At any rate. Myself, as a current owner of a fuel powered aircraft do not appreciate being told I’m a villain because I damage the ‘climate’. If one wish’s to attack fuel powered aircraft because of ‘climate’ then I think it is entirely fair to ask the question of where’s the proof of claim…