PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2004, 15:02
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
The 'Machine - Runway De-icing' (MRD) was actually quite a common site on RAF aerodromes even in the 1980s. As has been said, it consisted of a framework holding 2 ex-Meteor Derwent engines, between which was a small garden shed in which the luckless operator sat. The jet exhausts were fitted with diffusers and were supposed to blast snow off the runways, the whole Heath-Robertson contraption being pushed around by a fuel bowser!

A fairly lethal piece of kit as far as runway non-skid surfaces, lights, VASI boxes, bowser clutches - and operator's ears ere concerned. I wonder when they were finally withdrawn - and how the present day huggy-fluffy Health and Safety rules would have affected their operation? Somehow I can't imagine civvie contractors operating the things....

I gather that it was a favourite trick to ask "Does anyone have any twin jet time?" in aircrew crewrooms once. Anyone silly enought to admit to it was then offered a 'Meteor' trip - and spent a couple of hours in an MRD!

A Double Derwent worked wonders, worked wonders.......