PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Galaxy Flying School memories at Essendon.
Old 29th Oct 2022, 18:54
faheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xraylimaromeo
this thread is very old now - I have heard Laurie Peppard has passed away. His 150s were DIM and KXI. I think SIDS got them both.
His old Apache ECY has also gone to god I believe. He sold that around 2004 for $50 grand I remember him telling me.

Laurie moved back to the old ANZ bank building in about 2002 or so next to Galaxy which was closed by then. Laurie had about 5 or 6 planes
at the height of his business, all parked along the road just past where the roundabout is now when you come off the freeway. He let ECY go
then WXZ and just flew the 150s for the last few years.
Thats pretty sad to hear Laurie passed, Laurie gave me my first job as an instructor there back in 1972,I took over from John Sunderland who moved on to new start up Air Niugini.
Laurie had a V12 E type Jag, lovely car,must have cost a packet to run though.

I spent a couple of years there,then went to Discover Flying,did my instrument rating with Wes Guy aviation,Doug Stott did my training, anyone know if Doug or Maurice is still with us ?

I do remember flying KXI one day on a training flt to Bacchus Marsh,took off to the north,climbed over the top of tulla airport,turned west into a howling westerly and promptly went nowhere !! I think my gs was about 10 kts,I had to give it away and go back to Essendon.
From memory he had a victa,a Fuji and later on KXI and the apache.
I think he was a keen Marlin fisherman,used to charter a boat out of Cairns.

I visited Moorabbin airport the other day,had a meal at the aero club,I see they have named the bar after John Lindsay,he was a gentleman,I well remember doing an instrument renewal with John down at Cowes I think doing the ndb app, I took along a playboy magazine to keep him entertained !