PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2022, 09:54
SKOJB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shamrock7seal
The point that everyone seems to miss with this runway extension is that it's only 164m. It doesn't change the landing distance available at one end, only the other. It doesn't widen the runway. The obstacles are still there i.e the hill and the train sheds. Yes the trees are being lowered but this is simply not enough to allow unrestricted operations for LCC's with A320's operating to the med. They will still experience payload penalties, wet runway issues, and operating hour restrictions. That last one is a killer for any airline wishing to operate with a high utilisation.

If they do manage to attract an LCC or two, it won't last long. I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just stating the facts.

The only way this airport survives is regional flying, unrestricted regional flying, connecting to hubs, get Paris back! They need to build the business park in order to allow them to generate an income which isn't only aviation - this plugs the £4.5m gap. In theory. But attracting an LCC that doesn't want to pay aviation fee's will worsen the financial situation of SOU not improve it.
Blimey does that enormous BOH hat still fit you?