PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2022, 06:17
whitsunday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 0sprey
Based on this thread and what other members have said about their own hiring process, people are right in saying that the hiring standard has gone down.

However, what Cathay wants right now is not what it wanted X years ago... so comparing the standards for two separate problems does nothing but make both teams on the same side upset... the veterans are understandably annoyed that kids these days have it easy... the kids feel disheartened that the veterans don't seem to wanna support their opportunity to become a pilot.

Cathay's desire to train (from scratch) 1,500 mostly local pilots in a place like Hong Kong whose Urban Population has little to no ties to aviation means dramatically widening their scope of acceptability. Of course I don't have the numbers or the data, but that's the feeling I get.

I'm just glad that I have the opportunity in the first place; is that what the veterans are upset about? That the wannabes only got this opportunity because the vets got shafted when covid hit? I'd love to hear your thoughts...
"Cathay wants right now is not what it wanted X years ago"

I tell you what Cathay wants right now. Cathay wants to recruit as many pilots as they can to replace the ones that have left, in the expanse of quality, because once the HK Government drops 0+3, they won't have the capacity to meet the demands, based on the current headcounts. If it wasn't those experienced pilots who have left the door, they WILL NOT relaunch the cadet scheme at this time. They could have easily called back the guys they fired years ago. Keep in mind, there are still loads of Second Officers sitting at home counting beans. SCMP/The Standard has even done a report on that.

So you are damn right. Before, they didn't have this problem, because those guys were still flying. No need to mess around their cadets. But now, they can't. Number 1, people are leaving at a historical rate. Number 2, foreigner pilots have no interest in coming to HK based on COS18/COS21. The only way to go around this is to lower the standard so that more people can get through the door in a short amount of time. And that's what we or the veterans have a problem with.

Just because you are giving someone opportunity does not mean you have to lower the standard. You can keep hiring people while maintaining the standard.
If not then everyone can get into Harvard or Oxford or Yales right?

Ridiculous.