PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird in a Biplane
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2022, 20:10
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Mike,

It seems to me that as a story about her journey it could be of interest to some, she may have toned down the 'solo' claim, and I suppose in publishing it she's weighed up any negative personal issues that may arise. Perhaps this would make it less fictional per se, although whether she names and impugns other people remains to be seen.

However from a personal perspective I won't be reading it, although I read many aviation autobiographies, as I tend to prefer those that are more factual and self-effacing than the synopsis for this one suggests. A book that represents these values to me is perhaps something like Jean Batten's My life, or even Beryl Markham's West with the night, of which Hemingway (while acknowledging her to be unpleasant and a high-grade bitch) commented "She has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer".

Otherwise I recollect your moniker change, and probably crossed my eyes just as much the first time I read that letter as now. I was reminded then, as now, of Arkell v Pressdram, which I'm sure you're aware of...

Last edited by First_Principal; 27th Oct 2022 at 20:14. Reason: formatting and grammar